Scholarship applications for our April 2017 training are due March 16th!!! See below for information on how to apply.
Our scholarship information meeting is scheduled for February 23rd, 11:30a – 12:30p (contact [email protected] for location information). Come learn about the application process and get all your questions answered!!! Attendance is encouraged, but not required, for all potential scholarship applicants.
After you have read this information about scholarships, and verified that you will be available for all classes by reviewing this list of Important Dates and Deadlines, please use one of these methods to apply for a scholarship
1. You can print this PDF, complete it and mail it to us at 976 Linwood Rd., Birmingham, AL 35222.
It is also a fill-able form, so you can download it, open it in Acrobat Reader, fill it out and then print and mail, or save and email to [email protected].
2. You can download this Word Document, fill it out and email it to us at [email protected]
Please print out this list of Important Dates and Deadlines for scholarship applicants for your reference.
BirthWell Partners is a publicly supported charity that depends on scholarship recipients to serve women who could not otherwise afford doula services. Our program is based on a win-win premise. In return for extensive training, mentoring and finding your first doula clients, scholarship recipients commit to providing pro-bono services to low-resource clients recruited by BirthWell Partners. In this way, doulas attend the births required for certification and gain valuable on-the-job experience.
As a scholarship recipient, the doula services you will provide for each pregnant client includes: two prenatal visits, birth support, and two postpartum visits. This means being “on-call” 24 hours a day, seven days a week for a period of two-three weeks before the woman’s due date and until her baby is born (at most, three weeks after her due date.) Once the baby is born you are no longer on call, but do need to remain available to provided needed postpartum services.
Guidelines for Applicants
Applicants for BirthWell Partners’ birth doula scholarships must:
• be at least 21 years of age
• live within the greater Birmingham area, Tuscaloosa or Anniston
• have their own transportation
• have a valid driver’s license and automobile liability insurance
• have financial need
We Look at a Range of Applicants: We know that some of our applicants will move on to missionary work outside the country, some will use doula training as a stepping stone to midwifery training, some are public health professionals who will use this experience to enhance their careers and create better policies for maternal and child health, some will become professional doulas in affluent communities, and some will become professional doulas and serve mothers in low-income communities.
We Look at a Range of Financial Need: Some applicants will be offered full scholarships and others will be offered partial scholarships, based on their ability to pay some of the training costs.
This approach allows us to spread our limited scholarship money to as many applicants as possible. As one of our goals is increasing access to doula care, the more scholarships we can provide, the further we go toward meeting that goal.
If we offer you a partial scholarship, any money you can pay helps us cover our costs, and you lower the number of births you commit to attending, while still getting all of the benefits of supplemental training and mentoring.
The BirthWell Partners FULL scholarship includes:
• A one year DONA membership
• Birth Doula Certification Packet
• Introduction to Childbirth Education for Doulas (8 hours of instruction)
• Birth Doula Workshop (over 20 hours of instruction)
• Breastfeeding Class (4 hours of instruction)
• Perinatal Health Advocate Training (3 1/2 hours of instruction)
• Volunteer Doula Orientation (2 hours of instruction)
• Additional Training on Topics Relevant to Community Doulas (12 hours of instruction)
• Birth Doula Certification Application Fee
• One of the required books for certification
• Mentoring and Support from Experienced Doulas
• Background Screening
Scholarship recipients agree to:
• Submit to background screening
• Attend the Introduction to Childbirth Education for Doulas course
• Attend the Breastfeeding Class
• Attend the Doula Training Workshop
• Attend the Perinatal Health Advocate Training
• Attend the Volunteer Orientation
• Attend supplemental trainings and meetings throughout the 18 month period (at least 4 per year)
• Follow the DONA Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice for Birth Doulas
• Provide birth doula services to BirthWell Partners clients in Birmingham, Anniston or Tuscaloosa, within 18 months of attending the Birth Doula Workshop. (The number of births is dependent on the amount of the scholarship awarded; full scholarship recipients agree to provide services to 6 clients.) Services per doula client include a minimum of 2 prenatal visits, attendance at the birth and a minimum of 2 postpartum visits.
• Check and respond to messages (email, phone, or text) within a reasonable period of time, and stay in regular communication with program staff
• Complete and submit documentation for each client in a timely manner
• Attempt to follow up with clients by phone at designated intervals for 12 months
If unforeseen circumstances arise and a recipient is unable to completely fulfill this commitment, scholarship recipients agree to repay the cost of their training at a prorated amount based on the number of births attended. The value of this scholarship, covering the costs of training, certification, client assignment and mentoring support is over $1500.